Pav Bhaji is a famous street food found in India. It is basically mix vegetables sauted and served with pav or bread. It is one pot dish and is made fairly quickly. It is good recipe for entertaining a crowd. It is surely loved by everyone including kids. Since it has all veggies it is nutritious too. You can add beetroot in it for added red color or else add tomato paste/puree for red color as I have chose too. Here I have only added pav bhaji masala which is easily available in market. If you dont have then you can easily substitute it with garam masala/kashmiri red chili powder. Another tip to add red color instead of adding artificial red color is to soak dried whole kashmiri red chili in water and grind it with garlic into smooth paste. It will give a beautiful red color and enhance the taste too. We used to try making like this earlier when tomato paste was not easily available. Check out below for ingredients and method.
Onions: 2 small
Capsicum: 1 chopped
Potaotes: 2 medium boiled and mashed
Caultiflower: 1/2 cup boiled and mashed
Pease: 1/2 cup boiled and mashed
Carrot: 1# boiled and mashed
Tomato paste(optional): 1 tbsp
Pav bhaji masala: 2 tsp
Red chili powder: 1 tsp
coriander cumin powder: 1 tsp
Salt: to taste
Ginger garlic paste: 2 tbsp
Cilantro: to garnish
Oil: 2 tsp
Butter: 1 tbsp
Cumin seeds: 1/2 tsp
Lemon juice: 1 tsp
Butter: 1tbsp to garnish
1. Heat oil in a pan add butter optional. Add cumin seeds, ginger garlic paste and onions. Saute for few minutes and cover and cook for sometime.
2. Add chopped tomatoes and cook till they are done.
3. Add in tomato paste(optional) red chili powder, pav bhaji masala, coriander-cumin powder and mix well.
4. Add in boiled and mashed veggies.
5. After its mixed well add chopped capsicum. And cover and let it cook well.
6. Add water to adjust its consitency.
7. Garnish with cilantro, lemon juice and butter and serve with soft bread or pav.