Tindora Masala Curry | Masala Dondakaya | Ivy Gourd curry
Try this tasty and easy to prepare masala curry. It goes very well with rice/roti.
Tindora/Dondakaya/Ivy gourd 1 pound
Oil 1 tbsp + 3tbsp
Peanuts 2 tbsp
Sesame seeds 1 tbsp
Channa dal 1 tbsp
green chillies 4-5
Dry coconut 1 small piece ( 2tbsp approx.)
Cinnamon 1/2 inch
mint half of cilantro
Tamarind lemon size
Ginger 1/2 inch
Garlic 10 cloves
Cumin, mustard, channa dal, urad dal 1tbsp
Chilli powder to taste
salt to taste
curry leaves few
- Heat 1 tbsp oil. on a low heat saute peanuts, Dhaniya, sesame, channa dal and green chillies. Cook till half done.
- Add dry coconut, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves and saute until you get the nice aroma.
- Add cilantro and mint and cook for 1 minute.
- Now, add tamarind and cook for 1 more minute.
- switch off the heat and cool down completely.
- Add ginger and garlic to it and make a smooth paste. Add water if required.
- In a pan, heat 3 tbsp oil. Add slit tindora, salt and turmeric – mix well, cover and cook until half cooked. scoop them out onto a plate.
- Into the same oil, add cumin, mustard, channa dal and urad dal. saute till they splutter. Add curry leaves.
- Add finely chopped onion and fry for 2 minutes or until translucent.
- Add finely chopped tomato and cook till soft.
- Add cooked Tindora and mix well.
- Add chilli powder and ground masala paste and mix well. Add water to your consistency.
- Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve hot with rice/roti