Vegetable Dum Biryani
Biryani is full of flavor and spices. Rice is mixed with either meat or vegetables. Traditionaly biryani was cooked in a big handi or earthern pot over low flame. Here we have tried to add smoky flavor to the biryani by heating a coal piece and retaining its smoky flavor in the veggie. Serve it with raita of your choice.
Rice: 2 cups soaked for 30 mins
Water: 6-8 cups for boiling rice
Cinnamon stick: 2
Mint leaves: 1/2 cup chopped
Cilantro leaves: 1/2 cup
Fried Onions: 1/2 cup
Kesar/Saffron: 1/4 tsp soaked in 2tbsp of milk
Yogurt: 1 cup
Mix vegetables: 3 cups partially boiled
Onions: 1small sliced
hing: a pinch
Red chili powder: 1 tsp
Turmeric: 1 tsp
Coriander-cumin powder: 1.5 tsp
ginger-garlic paste: 2 tbsp
Salt: to taste
Oil: 2 tsp
Ghee: 1/2 tsp
1. Soak Basmati rice in water for at least 30 mins
2. Take yogurt in a bowl, add turmeric, red chili powder, coriander cumin powder, cilantro leaves,mint leaves,fried onions,partially cooked mix vegs.
3. Heat 2tsp of oil, add cumin seeds, hing, ginger garlic paste, sliced onions. Add salt n let it cook. Once done add it to the yogurt and veg mixture to let it marinate. Keep it aside.
4. Boil 6-8 cups of water, add few mint leaves, cinnamon stick, cloves. Let it come to a boil.
5. Add soaked rice and cook till it is 70% done. Once it is done drain and keep aside.
6. In a heavy bottom pot or Kadhai spread the marinated veggie layer. Place a small bowl on the veggie.
7. Heat a coal piece on flame. Be cautious while doing it.
8. Once coal is hot put it in the small bowl, add ghee over it and immediately cover it. Keep it covered for few mins till all its smoky flavor has been absorbed by the veggies.
9. After few mins remove the coal and keep aside safely. Add about 1/4 cup water enough to cook the veggie.
10. Spread rice layer over it. Add saffron dissolved in milk over it. Sprinkle some mint and cilantro leaves. Also add some fried onions and let it cook on low flame till all moisture is absorbed and veggie are cooked. Make sure to check as it might get burned from bottom.
11. It is ready to be served with raita of your choice.