Karela Aloo Sabzi( Bitter gourd – Potato)
Usually Karela or Bitter gourd is not liked by everyone as its bitter in taste. But Bitter gourd has many nutritious benefits. So try this recipe and I am sure you will like it. In order to reduce its bitter I have added salt and on chopped bitter gourd and by doing so you allow its bitterness to reduce a little. You can skip this step if you like bitter gourd. Also by adding jaggery at the end helps to lessen the bitterness. You can add more or less jaggery as per your taste. It is a very simple recipe and is served with roti/paratha.
Bitter gour/Karela: 2 cups peeled and chopped
Potato: 1 cup
Cashews: 1/3 c
Jaggery: 1/3 cup
Oil: 2 tsp
Cumin seeds: 1/2 tsp
Mustard seds:1/2 tsp
Hing: 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder: 1 tsp
Red chili powder: 1 tsp
Coriander-cumin powder: 2 tsp
Salt: to taste
1. Peel and remove its skin and chop bitter gourd. Add salt to it and let it sit for some time. After 15mins it will start to leave some jucies. Rinse it with water and squeeze any excess salt.
2. Heat oil in a pan, add cumin seeds, mustard seeds, hing, turmeri powder, cashews.
3. Add bitter gourd, potato and cover and let it cook. Add salt to taste.
4. Once they are cooked add all spices, red chili powder, corainder cumin powder and mix well.
5. Switch off the flame and add jaggery. Dont add jaggery with flame still on. Mix till jaggery dissloves as its still hot.
6. Garnish with cilantro leaves. Serve with roti/paratha.