Panchratna dal is made up with 5 different dal/lentils as panch means five. It is a classic Rajasthani dish which is usually had with bati or rice. It is a very simple yet delicious dish. I have used Tur dal(pigeon pea), Yellow moong dal, split green moong dal, Channa dal, Urad dal. You can also use masoor dal instead of any dal. I usually use same proportion for each dal but you can change according to your taste. Adding ghee adds a great taste to the dal but you can substitute it with oil. It is power packed dish as it has 5 different dals. Try this dish today for and serve with rice/paratha/bati.
Tur dal: 1/2c
Yellow moong dal:1/2c
Split green moong dal:1/2c
Onions: 1cup chopped
Tomatoes: 1cup chopped
green chili Ginger garlic paste: 1tsp
turmeric powder: 1tsp
red chilli powder: 1tsp
coriander-cumin powder: 2tsp
Oil/ghee: 2 tsp
Cumin seeds: 1 tsp
Mustard seeds: 1tsp
Salt: to taste
Lemon juice: 1 tsp
Cilantro: to garnish
- Soak all dals/lentils for 30mins/1hr. Add water and pressure cook for 3-4 whistles in a pressure cooker.
- Heat oil/ghee, add cumin seeds, mustard seeds, hing. Ginger-garlic-green chili paste.
- Add turmeric powder, onions, salt and saute till they turn translucent.
- Add tomatoes and let them cook. Cover and cook.
- Add all spices, coriader-cumin powder, red chili powder and mix well.
- Once ghee starts leaving the edges of the pan. Add boiled dal and mix well.
- Add water enough to adjust its consistency. Let it come to a boil.
- Once its comes to a boil and its consistency is good, turn off the flame and add lemon juice.
- Garnish with cilantro leaves. Serve with rice or bati.