Carrot Dhokla (Steamed Carrot Dumplings)
Tradionally dhokla are a snack/appetizer item from state of Gujrat. Khaman dhokla is made up of chana flour. This dhokla is a twist to traditional Rava dhokla. Carrots are rich in beta carotene, vitamin K and Vitamin B6. It is a easy way to sneak veggies in diet of picky eaters. Carrots give it a nice vibrant color which makes it more appetizing. Serve this for kids lunch box or snack or as a appetizer for your next party.
Carrots: 1 cup pureed
Rava: 2 cups
Yogurt: 2 cups
Salt: to taste
Ginger-garlic paste: 2 tbsp
Red chili powder: 1.5tsp
Sugar: 1 tsp
Lemon juice: 1 tsp
Water: appx 1 cup
Cumin/Mustard seeds: 1 tsp each
Crushed Black pepper: 1 tsp
Green chili/curry leaves: 2-3nos
Eno/Fruit salt: 1 tsp for each 1 cup
Cilantro: few for garnish
1. Mix Rava and Yogurt and keep aside for few mins.
2. Add carrots puree, salt, sugar, lemon juice, ginger garlic paste, and water and mix into pouring consistency.
3. Meanwhile heat water in a steamer or a pot and keep a stand for steaming.
4. When it is ready to steamed take appx 1 cup of batter in another bowl and add Eno or fruit salt. Mix gently. Avoid mixing it vigorously.
5. Pour this in a greased plate and steam for 15mins
6. Check if its done with a fork.
7. Let it cool and cut into diamond or square pieces.
8. Heat oil in a pan for tempering. Add cumin, mustard seeds, crushed black pepper, green chilies, curry leaves and splash of water.
9. Pour this tempering over dhokla pieces and garnish with cilantro leaves.